This is me writing as an individual and not on behalf of any organization.
Globally, ~3.4% of reported cases of coronavirus end up in fatality. The number for seasonal flu is < 1% (1). That said, the death rate is high for 85+, it’s actually quite low for people under 40. (2)
|80+ years old||14.8%|
|70-79 years old||8.0%|
|60-69 years old||3.6%|
|50-59 years old||1.3%|
|40-49 years old||0.4%|
|30-39 years old||0.2%|
|20-29 years old||0.2%|
|10-19 years old||0.2%|
|0-9 years old||no fatalities|
One problem with coronavirus is that it’s more infectious than flu and now scientists say that it might have mutated into a more aggressive form (3)
IT’S NOT A REASON TO PANIC, here are some helpful tips (summary: disinfect your phone, don’t touch your face, wash hands often, esp. after every outing) :-
- Today at an event some people bumped fists instead of shaking hands. That’s actually a good idea.
- Avoid touching your face
- Wash your hands often, especially before eating / touching your face.
- The virus can live up to 96 hours on phone screens (4)
- Carry disinfectant. Use it.
- Keep disinfectant in your home, esp. near the entrance. Have people use it as they enter (better to actually wash hands with soap)
- Cough into your elbow
- Avoid poorly ventilated places (5)
- DO NOT GO OUT TO BUY FACE MASKS. If you have extra ones, consider donating. They won’t help you if you aren’t already infected.
Typical symptoms: Fever (87.9%), dry coughing (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), joint pain (14.8%), chills (11.4%). Full list: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/6/20-0452-f1
Take proper precautions and don’t panic. Feel free to share this information with others. For nerds among us, here’s the full WHO report: https://www.who.int/…/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-f…
Sources: 1 - https://mobile.twitter.com/WHO/status/1234872254883909642 2 - https://www.worldometers.info/…/coronavirus-age-sex-demogr…/ 3 - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/…/coronavirus-has-mutated-aggr…/ 4 - https://qz.com/…/covid-19-can-likely-live-up-to-96-hours-o…/ 5 - https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200302_34/